Sitting with Troy and Schenectady, Albany spreads along the banks of the grand upper Hudson River. New York’s State Capital boasts architecture, cultural, educational, and tech resources as well as its government functions.
The Dutch settled the area more than 400 years ago, and commerce and river travelers created the city now populated by a diverse, well-educated 98,000 plus demographic. There’s plenty to do every season of the year. But, if you’re looking to getaway, Albany should head your short list of places to go.
Planning your next escape:
- The Egg Performing Arts Center hosts everything from ballet and chamber music to country music and rock in two theatres nesting it the concrete bowl precariously perched on its pedestal.
- The more classic design of the New York State Museum houses extraordinary educational sources on the region’s archaeology, paleontology, biology, and much more.
- The Albany Institute of History & Art dates to 1791 and collects artifacts from the life and culture of the Upper Hudson including what may be the world’s best collection of the Hudson Valley School paintings.
- From the small Catholic College of St. Rose in Albany to the prestigious Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs and back to Albany for the larger SUNY-Albany, Albany hosts hordes of students each year.
- Albany is part of New York’s Tech Valley, an energetic education- and infrastructure-rich region specializing in nanotechnology.
- Winter brings snows to the splendid nearby Adirondack Mountains. Premium resorts invite skiers to Maple Ski Ridge (Schenectady), West Mountain (Queensbury), and Core Mountain (North Creek). But, spring and summer visitors enjoy ziplining at Mountain Ridge Adventure or golfing at Burden Lake Country Club or the public Stadium Golf Club, Inc.
Tie your next escape to business trip.
Reserving a suite at TownePlace Suites Albany Downtown gives you a full kitchen and a complimentary breakfast within walking distance of the state Capitol and its imposing Empire State Plaza. If your work is with the state offices or the nearby Medical Center, you have access to everything you need.
- If you’re looking for a romantic dinner, your hotel is a short ride to Angelo’s 677 Prime. You’ll enjoy the soft-lighting, superior selection of steaks and seafood, and a choice among 500 wine labels.
- The multiple award-winning Jack’s Oyster House serves steaks, too, but you go there for the ambiance, the wine list, and the seafood.
- If you’re looking for fine food in a more casual, beer-friendly restaurant, there is Druthers. A notch above pub-grub, the menu features burgers, pizzas, and pastas. But, the on premises brewery creates artisan beers under the watch of American and International award-winning Druthers’ Master Brewer George de Piro.
- Albany is a city of lobbyists, students, and state workers. Whey they look dancing nightlife, some like the music at Fuze Box or Speakeasy 518.
Whatever your plans to make you next escape the one that you remember for years to come, you must remember where you are. The Hudson River Valley remains one of the most picturesque regions in the country. Deeply and romantically beautiful, the forests and horizons inspire visitors and artists alike.